DataScience Workbook / 09. Project Management / 3. Documentation Improvement Tools / 3.1 Introduction to Markdown
Markdown is a text-based mark-up language that is easily rendered into HTML and PDF.
Here are some of the top reason for using Markdown besides its format interchangability.
- It has become a staple of reproducible science:
- it can be rendered on GitHub (also Bitbucket & GitLab) and makes online repositories more readable and accessible
- it is used as a notebook interface for R (Rmarkdown)
- it is used as the markup language for Jupyter notebooks, which provide a notebook interface for many languages, including Python and R
There are some freely available editors that make writing in Markdown pretty easy
- Windows and Linux: Github ATOM and REMARKABLE
- Mac OSX: MacDown
- Remark for markdown powerpoint like slides
Start with the Mastering Markdown guide by github located here.
- Mastering Markdown Guide
- The file extension for a Markdown file is