Markdown is a text-based mark-up language that is easily rendered into HTML and PDF.
Here are some of the top reason for using Markdown besides its format interchangability.
- It has become a staple of reproducible science:
- it can be rendered on GitHub (also Bitbucket & GitLab) and makes online repositories more readable and accessible
- it is used as a notebook interface for R (Rmarkdown)
- it is used as the markup language for Jupyter notebooks, which provide a notebook interface for many languages, including Python and R
There are some freely available editors that make writing in Markdown pretty easy
Start with the Mastering Markdown guide by github located here.
- Mastering Markdown Guide
- The file extension for a Markdown file is